Here in Mississippi

Here in Mississippi, where I have taught for the past year,
the holy trinity for most is family, football, and church. 
This model presents me with a unique teaching opportunity
in a region dominated by sports and Baptists.

Many of my students are able to accept only two of three
dominant search modes for universal understanding: Theology, Science, or Art.
 Though all three strive to order the raw data of our perceptions
into familiar structures, many a young Mississippi student cannot reconcile
faith and evolution, or self-expression and service to community.

In New Jersey, Indiana, Kentucky, and Mississippi,
I have encountered a common challenge:
in order to teach effectively,
I must learn the cultural language that my students speak
as I speak to them in the language of contemporary visual arts.